What is turf?
Turf is grass that has been grown specifically to be installed on lawns. They are often composed of two different types of grasses, such as Kentucky bluegrass and perennial rye.
Additionally, turf is a type of grass that is planted on top of the soil. It can be weeded with less effort once it is established and typically grows to be around 25mm thick. The turf laying should sit a bit higher than paths or edges, so as not to cause any damage or wear.
Top Tips For Turf Laying
Tip 1: Plan your yard
There are a few key things to remember when installing new quality turf. The first is that the soil should be well-watered before installation. The new turf laying should not be mowed for at least a month, as this will allow the roots to settle into the soil properly.
Additionally, it is important to plan your yard before you install the turf – think about where you want trees, flower beds, and other features in your yard. Finally, make sure to water your lawn regularly in order to maintain its health and beauty.
Tip 2: Choose a suitable grass type
When it comes to turf laying, there are many things to consider. One of the most important decisions is what type of grass to use. There is much different grass variety, and each one has its own set of pros and cons. Soil preparation is also important, as it will affect how well your grass grows. Another factor to consider is how much fresh turf you need.
Buying too much or too little can be costly and wasteful, so make sure you measure your yard carefully. Finally, remember that choosing the right grass is crucial for a healthy environment.
Tip 3: Check your turf underlay soil
When installing a lawn, it is important to use the right type of sand (sandy loam) as the substrate. The sand should make up 70% of the total substrate. The best type of soil for your lawn care is one that is well-drained and healthy for future growth. Topdressing should be applied to fill joins, and level depressions and make sure the turf delivered leads are visible after top dressing.
Additionally, one of the most important steps in turf laying is to make sure that the soil underneath it is in good condition. This means adding fertilizer (starter fertilizer) and preparing the ground before you start. There are a variety of starter or pre-turf fertilizers on the market, but they all serve the same purpose: to encourage deep root growth and give your lawn a “head start.”
Tip 4: Measure how much turf you need
When installing turf, it is important to make sure you have the correct amount. This can be done by measuring the length and width of your lawn area and then using a calculator to statistically measure how much turf is required with a turf calculator. Once you have done that, divide the area into two different shapes and calculate each individual area. The total area of the turf (turf area) must be 125m2.
When measuring how much turf you need, it’s important to take into account the 4% wastage factor. This is included in all areas and means that you should use 100mm x 100mm pieces of turf for coastal areas.
Tip 5: Prepare the underlay
Installing a new lawn is a big job that takes some preparation. One of the most important steps in preparing the ground properly. This includes watering it well, using glyphosate to kill any weeds or grass and raking over the soil to create a smooth surface.
When installing turf, it is important to prepare the ground properly. This means having a good underlay and ensuring that the turf is installed correctly. In order to achieve this, you should:
– Lay down a layer of sand 60% of the total area.
– Add soil on top of the sand 40% of the total area.
– Make sure that the turf is 100mm deep and leave 25-30mm on top to finish at ground level.
– Use a rake or straight edge or straight line to achieve a finished product with an even surface.
– Ideally, before installing your lawn, roll the surface and regrade the level to create a rich nutrient base for your lawn.
Tip 6: Lay the turf now
When you are laying turf, it is important to do so in a way that will ensure the best possible outcome. Here are some tips to follow:
– Turf should be left to settle for eight hours after being laid. During this time, it is important not to walk on or disturb the turf.
– Once the turf has settled, apply a top dressing made from washed river sand or turf underlay which is 10-12 mm thick.
– Make sure that the soil is in good condition before laying a new lawn. If necessary, add some organic matter such as compost or manure to improve its quality.
– The best time of year to lay turf is in winter, especially when it’s cold or rainy.
Tip 7: Caring for your new lawn
Once you have laid your turf, it is important to keep it well-watered. The first watering should be done according to Sydney Water exemptions and restrictions – early morning and afternoon watering’s for 14 days.
After the first seven to ten days of watering, your lawn should have taken root and cannot be lifted out of the ground. The lawn needs about 15mm of water once every week.
Once your new lawn is in, it’s important to water and fertilizes it periodically. Lawns should also be mulched to retain moisture, prevent weeds, and keep the soil cool in the summer. You can use a variety of materials for mulching such as leaves, straw, or compost.
What are the benefits of having turf?
There are many benefits to having turf installed in your yard/lawn. One of the main benefits is that it is low maintenance. You will not have to worry about mowing, watering, or fertilizing your lawn.
– Turf is a great way to add value and beauty to your property. A well-maintained lawn will increase the value of your home, while also providing you with an aesthetic appeal
– Turf is a great option for people with allergies. It’s hard to find plants that don’t cause allergic reactions, but turf doesn’t fall into this category.
– Turf is easy on your water bill and it doesn’t require much maintenance.
– Additionally, turf can be installed during the fall and winter months, which means you will not have to wait long for it to be ready for use. A lawn is also a great way to showcase your creativity and can be used for multiple purposes and events.